Thursday, January 6, 2011

Introduction

When I think of who I am and what defines me as a person I have to look at my two lives.  I have a work life and a home life that are generally separate from each other...thankfully.  Every once in a while the two lives collide and I have to balance work and home but in general work is work and home is home.  This all started about 15 months ago when my son Connor was born.  At home I am Dada...the most fulfilling thing I have ever been, and I am a also husband...a very close second to Dada. I love spending time just hanging out with my wife, watching our little boy grow at what can only be described as an astonishing rate!  I have one major, non-family related obsession I live with in my home life...the Oregon Ducks!  It seems innocent enough but most people probably don't really understand the extent of the problem.

Life number two is school...at school I am Mr. White!  This is my fifth year as a teacher 4 at Tualatin High School and my first at Woodburn.  I currently teach Physical Science, Chemistry, and Forensics, but have also taught Biology and Physics in the past.  I am also a member of our contract negotiation action team as we continue working towards a contract settlement.  I love my job but have a lot of concerns about the state of education and the increased pressure placed on students and teachers by politicians with little or no educational experience or background.  I am taking this class as a piece of my MS in Information Technology as well as to ind new relevant ways of teaching.

4 comments:

  1. I find it quite impressive that you can separate your work and home lives! Growing up with two parents as teachers I always got caught in the middle of both worlds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough to separate the worlds, especially if you are blogging! Enjoy your son, William--this is a wonderful time as he grows and learns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for keeping your lives separate, something that I have had to work very hard at most of my life. While our children were growing up we ran a business essentially out of our home and our lives blended raising a family and maintaining a lifestyle. Since the children have left us an empty nest, we live our teaching along with all the other activities in our lives.. But then we've always done things a bit differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is adorable! I have an eight month old son...and I think "astonishing rate" is the only way to describe their growth! Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow night...GO DUCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete